Friday, October 09, 2009

That's Not Flying... That's Falling!

I want this illustration to soar, but right now it's having trouble in its take-off.

These are three different takes of the same two-page spread I'm doing for a children's book. This is the first one I thumbnailed. It's totally wrong.
Ick. I spit on it. Phsh, psh.
I like the composition of this one. The bird's expression beneath her is laughable. These books are such a riot to illustrate. I'm so lucky to have this project on my plate. I'm excited about the imagery the author's words pull into my head.
I thought maybe this would be more dynamic with a bit of land in it?
The fact that I'm still vacillating is proof that it's not right yet.
What do you think, illustrators?

I just remembered this quote from my favorite aviatrix:
You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky. ~Amelia Earhart

Maybe this is the extra bit of inspiration I need to get this juuuuuuust right.
Happy Friday!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

these are wonderful!!!

aurangelica said...

Hey... I like your blog... it´s amazing!! Nice sketches!!! ;)

Artsnark said...

Fun pieces

jcdillustration said...

I like the bottom one the best - the birds both being astonished and the little bit of land. Nice quote too!

Linda Kay said...

Amber, these look great with a lot of energy! Good luck with your project!

Unknown said...

Amazing...I love 1 and 2 best.
x

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails