Saturday, June 20, 2009

Why Can't Every Day Be Saturday?

My parents would answer this with some comment about how Saturday is only fun because we get it once a week and that makes it special. I'm old enough to know that they'd be lying and that the real answer is "because we can't always have everything we want." Luckily, sometimes we can. Saturdays are usually like that for me: everything I want. This morning I had a chummy video call with an friend who's living in Greece. Skype is king. I read my book in the park, we're back to One Hundred Years of Solitude. I walked to Brooklyn Heights and visited the farmer's market. At 10:30 I met up with an old friend for brunch. (I'm high-fiving myself right now.) Then I hit the gym. Today's been near perfect and while it may sound slightly dull, I've been reveling in it. I need to get some designs done this afternoon but tonight I'm going to an 80's dance in Chelsea.

Why can't being grown up always be this nice? Oh right, I remember.....

Here's some sketching that happened at brunch: 11 Madison Park is always my very favorite spot for brunching NYC. When we got there we found out that they don't do brunch anymore! I got a chance utter the phrase, "well, I never!" We walked for a while and worked up a pretty hearty appetite before we happened upon the ideal spot for hungry people on Saturdays.

I think the boy was much happier with predictable but reliably good and happy American brunch as opposed to questionable but fancy fusion brunch. It's doubtful that the sketching would have been happening at 11 Madison Park. Too fancy and snobby for sketchbooks on the table.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails