Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Watercolor Wednesday

This week I had a lesson with my star pupil, aka. the kid I am most likely to steal and run away to Mexico with. We started using watercolor and experimenting with color. My work of course always runs along the cute and cuddly vein. His work is strong, bold and abstract. Here is one of our collaborative projects.
This was our first voyage into the idea of texture. We had fun. One of my 'freedom through medium" teaching techniques is to turn the textures into something concrete after everything is said and done. My students always go all out trying to make abstract patterns that are too crazy to see things in. This works wonders for them. They stop having the fear of 'messing something up'.

I get them to start doing the exercise completely by themselves. Eventually we stop looking for images because the artwork stands on its own in the abstract. This also makes for an easy jump into looking at art. I got to keep this one because after we finished the texture maps he demanded that I "Make it a horse!" He had so many horses by the end of our lesson this week that he let me keep one. ;)


I left all of the rest of his work with his parents. They figure since they're paying for this tutelage the work should adorn their walls. Sadly, they have a point. I wish I could share it with you. It so kicks other kindergartner art's trash. Maybe I'll take photos next time.

Here's a bit of the loose stuff I did after we pulled the paints out and he was off and running.




2 comments:

Akash said...

woah, i have to say, i am really impressed by your blog

humangal said...

I agree, your blog is amazing! you are very talented and so is your student.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails